With a massive content library of classic shows and original titles, Amazon Prime Video has been a leading competitor in the streaming service industry. And you can access the service from a wide range of devices — whether it’s through your gaming console, smartphone, smart TV, streaming media player, tablet or web browser.
Starting July 2019, you even have the option to stream Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast, ending the longstanding feud between Google and Amazon. This means you get to cast videos from the Prime Video app on your phone or tablet and display it to your TV screen via Chromecast.
If you’ve been casting content for a while, the Amazon Video Chromecast streaming process is pretty easy to understand. For those new to it all, this post gives you a detailed guide on Chromecast Amazon Prime Video streaming.
What is Amazon Prime Video?
Boasting of 26,000+ titles in its lineup, Amazon Prime Video is one of the leaders in on-demand streaming. The basic Prime Video plan costs $8.99/mo. and allows up to three simultaneous streams. It even lets you download videos to watch offline, which comes in handy when you have to travel.
If you subscribe to Prime Video through a regular Amazon Prime subscription, you get additional shopping perks such as free shipping and express delivery on the Amazon website. This plan sets you back by just $12.99/mo. You can learn more about what the service offers and what plans are available in our Amazon Prime Video review.
Watch Amazon Prime Video on these Chromecast models
Prime Video is compatible with all Chromecast devices. So you’ll need any of these devices along with a Prime Video subscription to access Amazon Video Chromecast streaming.
Keep in mind that the latest version of the basic Chromecast model (3rd generation) might work more seamlessly with Prime Video due to hardware upgrades. And if you want to watch compatible Prime Video titles in 4K, you’ll need the Chromecast Ultra.
At the time of writing this post, you can watch Prime Video on the following Chromecast models:
- Chromecast (3rd generation + older models)
- Chromecast Ultra
Older generations of the basic Chromecast player can play Prime Video, but they may deliver slower performance. Learn more about what the 3rd generation Chromecast and the Chromecast Ultra offer and how much they cost in our Chromecast device review.
How to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video
You can either get a standalone Prime Video subscription for $8.99/mo. or subscribe to Amazon Prime for $12.99/mo. This Amazon Prime subscription comes with access to Prime Video and several shopping perks. Both options come with a 30-day free trial, so you have ample time to get a feel of what the service offers.
Here’s what you need to do to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video:
- Step One: Go to PrimeVideo.com to get the standalone subscription. Or, if you want to subscribe to Amazon Prime, go to Amazon.com/Prime.
- Step Two: Click on “Login to Join Prime” if you’re opting for the standalone subscription. For an Amazon Prime membership, you’ll get the option to “Try Prime” or “Start your 30-day free trial.”
- Step Three: Log in to your existing Amazon account. If you’re new to Amazon, select “Create your Amazon account” to sign up. For first-timers, Amazon might even ask you to verify your account using a one-time password (OTP), which you’ll receive via email. Just enter this OTP to the relevant field on the Amazon page to complete the verification.
- Step Four: If you’re planning to get an Amazon Prime subscription, you’ll also get the option to choose a plan. So you can decide whether to get the annual or the monthly plan. The annual plan sets you back $119/yr., so you end up paying just about $10/mo.
- Step Five: Once you’ve decided on a plan, provide your payment information, and that’s it. You can now start streaming movies and shows on Prime Video.
How to download Amazon Prime Video on your Chromecast device
If you’re familiar with Chromecast devices, you’ll know that they don’t work like other streaming media players. Rather than having apps of their own, they let you cast content from your mobile or tablet (or even your Chrome browser) and display it to your TV screen. As such, you won’t get a separate Chromecast Amazon Prime Video app.
Here’s how you can access Amazon Video Chromecast streaming:
- Step One: Download the Prime Video app on your Android or iOS device.
- Step Two: Make sure that your Chromecast is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device you want to cast from.
- Step Three: Login to your Prime Video account using the app.
- Step Four: Select the video you want to cast to your TV.
- Step Five: Tap on the “Cast” icon on the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Step Six: Select your Chromecast device to start streaming Prime Video content on your TV screen.
How do I get Amazon Prime Video on an older Chromecast device?
Prime Video works with all types of Chromecast devices. So just follow the same steps as above to get Amazon Prime Video on your older Chromecast device.
Can I download Amazon Prime Video to my other devices for offline viewing?
Yes, Amazon lets you download Prime Video content to any compatible device for offline viewing. Keep in mind that you’ll get offline access to the content only on the device where you downloaded it.
How many devices in a household can watch Amazon Prime Video at one time?
Amazon Prime Video lets you stream videos from up to three devices at a time.
How do I log in to Amazon Prime Video on my TV?
Open the Prime Video app on your smart TV and log in using your credentials. If you want to access Prime Video from your streaming media player such as Fire TV or Roku devices, go to the device home screen. Then select Prime Video from your installed apps and log in using your credentials.
Our hot take
Chromecast is a great way to stream Prime Video content from your mobile or tablet and display it to a larger screen. This enhances your streaming experience and lets you catch your favorite shows in vivid detail. And since Chromecast devices won’t cost you more than $70, they’re perfect for anyone who needs a low-cost streaming solution.
But for those who don’t like having to use extra pieces of hardware besides their TV, it might be better to get a smart TV that lets you access leading streaming services such as Prime Video and Netflix.