When you want to binge on your favorite Disney classics or stream Star Wars movies back-to-back, staring at your phone or tablet screen for too long can put a strain on your eyes. The good news is you can take your streaming experience to the next level by watching Disney+ on your TV screen instead.
Disney+ works with a wide range of smart TVs and streaming devices, so you can easily stream your favorite Disney titles on the big screen. Even if you don’t have a smart TV or a streaming media player, you always have the option to cast Disney+ content from your phone or tablet to your TV screen.
Since Disney+ launched in November 2019, it has come with support for a wide range of devices. This means you’d have had no trouble getting Disney Plus on Chromecast right from the start. In this post, we give you a detailed look at how to watch Disney Plus on Chromecast and which devices you’ll need for this.
What is Disney+?
Disney+ is the dedicated streaming service that houses almost every Disney title ever made. So it’s home to an extensive selection of Disney classics and contemporary releases as well as Disney+ originals. Costing just $6.99/mo., it also gives you access to the entire Star Wars movie franchise along with titles from Marvel, National Geographic and Pixar.
With this, you also get 4K streaming for some titles, and you won’t have to pay any additional fee for access. And to further enhance your streaming experience, Disney+ also offers up to four simultaneous streams. Learn more about what else the service offers in our Disney+ review.
Watch Disney+ on these Chromecast devices
To stream Disney+ on Chromecast, you’ll need a compatible Chromecast device and a Disney+ subscription, as well as a suitable TV. Disney+ works on all Google Chromecast devices — from Version 1 and above. Plus, you can also cast to other devices with built-in Chromecast such as Android TVs, Nest Hubs and VIZIO Smartcast TVs.
At the time of writing this post, Disney+ supports casting to:
- Android TV devices
- Google Chromecast (Version 1 and newer)
- Google Nest Hub and Nest Hub Max
- VIZIO Smartcast TVs
Keep in mind that for streaming supported Disney+ titles in 4K, you’ll also need a 4K casting device such as the Chromecast Ultra along with a 4K TV. You can learn more about the differences between a regular Chromecast and a Chromecast Ultra in our Chromecast devices review.
How to subscribe to Disney+
You have two ways to subscribe to Disney+ — as a standalone service for $6.99/mo. or as a bundle with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99/mo. Unfortunately, Disney+ no longer lets you try out the service for free at the time of writing this post.
- Step One: Visit the Disney+ website.
- Step Two: Select which subscription you want to get — “Get all three” for the Hulu and ESPN+ bundle or “Sign up for Disney+ only.”
- Step Three: Enter your email address and then select “Agree & Continue.”
- Step Four: Create a password. Then click on “Continue.”
- Step Five: If you’d chosen to get only Disney+ you’ll have to select whether you want a monthly or an annual plan at this stage. The annual subscription will cost you a little less overall at $69.99/yr.
- Step Six: Provide your payment information. Disney+ gives you the option to pay for a subscription using your credit card or PayPal. Click on “Agree & Subscribe” to complete the subscription process. After this, you’ll be able to start streaming Disney+ instantly, even from your web browser.
How to download Disney+ on your Chromecast
One thing to note about Chromecast devices is that they only act as a medium to display what’s on your phone or tablet screen to your TV. So rather than having apps of their own, these devices only let you display something from the mobile app or web browser onto a larger screen. That means you won’t get a separate app for Disney Plus on Chromecast.
Here’s how you can watch Disney Plus on Chromecast:
- Step One: Download the Disney Plus app on your phone or tablet. Disney+ supports casting from both iOS and Android devices, so you won’t have too much trouble with this. Alternatively, you’ll also have the option to cast from the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Step Two: Make sure that this device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
- Step Three: Log in to your Disney Plus account on the app or on your web browser (whichever device you’re casting from).
- Step Four: Select the video you want to watch.
- Step Five: Find the “Cast” icon on the screen and tap on it. This is a small square with three curved lines at the bottom, and you’ll typically find it at the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Step Six: Choose which device you want to cast to. For instance, you could choose the Chromecast device connected to your TV or even Google Nest Hub if that’s what you’re using. This will let you start streaming Disney Plus on Chromecast.
Our hot take
Chromecast devices are a great option for anyone who wants a low-cost way to stream Disney+ on a larger screen. Plus, you even have the option to get 4K streaming with the Chromecast Ultra if that’s what you want.
However, if you don’t like the idea of having to use multiple devices just to stream Disney+ on a larger screen, you might do better with a smart TV. But keep in mind that this will cost you well over $100 while you can get the most high-end Chromecast model for less than $70.
How do I get Disney+ on an older Chromecast device?
Disney Plus supports casting to older Chromecast devices and even to the 1st generation models. So just follow the same steps as above to stream Disney Plus using your older Chromecast device.
How many devices in a household can watch Disney+ at one time?
With your Disney Plus subscription, you have the freedom to stream from up to four devices at the same time. This means no more fighting over what to watch as everyone gets to stream their favorite movies and shows simultaneously.