Disney+ is an on-demand streaming service packed with great movies and TV series. Disney+ is home to classic Disney films, the latest animated hits from Pixar, and original Disney movies and shows. The service also provides access to all the movies from the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.
Disney+ is available for $6.99/mo. or $69.99/yr. and offers a free seven-day trial to all new customers. For full details of how much the service costs, read our article on Disney+ packages and pricing.
This article will provide a guide to how to stream Disney Plus and answer the question of how do I get Disney Plus on my TV. For more information about the service, read our Disney+ review.
Stream Disney+ with streaming devices
Disney+ is available to watch on a range of streaming devices. Below is a step-by-step guide to how to watch Disney Plus on TV on each.
The Google Chromecast device uses casting technology to project content from a user’s mobile phone onto their TV set. It enables users to mirror the video content playing through an app on their phone onto the bigger screen.
Follow these three steps to watch Disney+ on Google Chromecast.
- Step One: To watch Disney+ on a Google Chromecast, users first need to download the Disney+ app on their smartphone and sign in or create an account.
- Step Two: Plug the Google Chromecast into an HDMI port on the TV set and get it connected and set up to cast from the mobile device.
- Step Three: Open the Disney+ app on the mobile device and select a movie or TV show to watch. Tap the Chromecast icon at the top of the screen and select the TV from the devices available. The content will cast to the TV set.
Amazon Fire TV devices
Streamers have a range of options available to them with the Amazon Fire TV family of devices. Amazon Fire TV devices enable users to download apps of their favorite streaming service and watch them on their TV set.
Follow this three-step plan to stream Disney+ content on Amazon Fire TV devices.
- Step One: Plug the Amazon Fire TV device into the HDMI port of the TV set and install the software.
- Step Two: Use the Amazon Fire TV remote control to open the Amazon App Store, search for the Disney+ app and download it. Open the app, then sign in or create an account.
- Step Three: Select a movie or TV show within the Disney+ app and start streaming.
Roku provides a wide range of streaming devices, from affordable set-top boxes to 4K capable streaming sticks and high-end media hubs. Roku users can use the Roku Channel Store to download apps for their favorite streaming services and watch on their TV. For more information, read our article on watching Disney+ on Roku.
These three steps will enable users to watch Disney+ on their Roku devices.
- Step One: Insert the Roku device into the HDMI port of the TV set and follow the on-screen instructions to install the necessary software and updates.
- Step Two: Use the Roku remote control to open the Roku Channel Store and search for Disney+. Download the Disney+ app, open it and sign in or create a Disney+ account.
- Step Three: Search the Disney+ app for a movie or TV show and start streaming Disney+ on Roku.
Apple TV offers two devices for users to stream their favorite content, Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV devices also enable users to stream content from their iPad, iPhone or iPod using the AirPlay feature.
Follow these three steps to start streaming Disney+ on an Apple TV device.
- Step One: Connect the Apple TV device to the TV set by plugging it into the HDMI port. Follow the on-screen instructions to download required updates and get the Apple TV device set up.
- Step Two: Use the Apple TV remote control to open the Apple App Store and find the Disney+ app. Download the app, then sign in using existing login credentials or sign up for Disney+.
- Step Three: Select a movie or TV show from the Disney+ content library and start streaming the service.
Stream Disney+ with a Smart TV
Streamers can also watch Disney+ directly on their TV set as the service is now available on all smart TV platforms.
Roku provides its operating system to TV manufacturers like Element, Hisense, Hitachi, RCA, Sharp and TCL. This enables these manufacturers to produce affordable but high-quality internet-connected TVs.
Then offer brief step by step instructions as follows:
- Step One: Roku smart TV users can download Disney+ by using their TV remote control to open up the Roku Channel Store on their TV.
- Step Two: Use the smart TV remote to search the Roku Channel Store for Disney+ and download the app. Open the Disney+ app, then sign in to the service or create an account.
- Step Three: Select a Disney+ movie or TV show to watch and start streaming the service on Roku TV.
Other Smart TVs
Streamers can also watch the Disney+ service on other smart TVs, which typically use the Amazon Fire TV or Android operating system platforms.
Streaming Disney+ on these smart TVs works in a similar way to the Roku TV devices. Users need to find the Disney+ app on their respective app store, download it and sign in to the streaming service, then start watching.
A few examples of other popular smart TV providers that enable streamers to watch Disney+ directly on their TV include:
- Android TV
Use HDMI to stream Disney+
It’s also possible to stream Disney+ on a TV set without a streaming device or a smart TV. Another option is to use an HDMI cable to connect a laptop or computer to the TV set. However, depending on the device being used, it may require an adapter between the device and HDMI cable to stream the content from the computer. This could be an adapter such as a USB C to HDMI or a Lightning to HDMI to convert the content.
- Step One: Connect the computer to the TV by plugging an HDMI cable into the HDMI port of both devices.
- Step Two: Visit the Disney+ website on the computer’s web browser and either sign in or create an account with the service.
- Step Three: Select a Disney+ movie or TV show and start playing. The content will play on the web browser and on the TV set. The HDMI cable supports both audio and video, which ensures that the sound of the Disney+ service will play through the TV set or any connected speakers and sound systems.
Our hot take
Streamers have plenty of device options available to watch Disney+ on TV. The simplest option is through a smart TV, as it involves simply downloading the Disney+ app from the device’s app store and signing in to start watching.
Users who don’t have a smart TV can watch Disney+ on several streaming media devices that plug directly into their TV. Amazon Fire TV offers several TV sticks and a more high-end streaming cube. Google Chromecast enables Disney+ to be cast to a TV from a mobile phone. Roku provides budget options through to premium media hubs. While those looking for a premium streaming experience should look to Apple TV’s HD and 4K devices.
How do I watch Disney+ on my TV if it’s not a Smart TV?
Disney+ is compatible with several streaming devices that can be connected to a TV set that isn’t a smart TV. Devices from Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Roku can all be connected to any TV that has an HDMI port.
How do I cast Disney+ from my phone to my TV?
Disney+ can be cast to a TV using Google Chromecast. The device plugs into the TV’s HDMI port and mirrors content playing on a mobile device onto the TV set.